Monday, October 1, 2012

Interesting week in Slovakia!

Dear Family and Friends, What an interesting week! Probably the highlight of the week was the first sacrament meeting in our brand new building in Zvolen! (This is the city that we travel to often, as 3 elders and a senior couple live there, and the 7 of us make up a missionary district. It's about 20 or so minutes away by train) We had 2-hour church in Banska Bystrica in the morning. I was asked to give a talk on seeking first the kingdom of God, and the other speaker was our Relief Society president. It was sort of frantic to put it together during the week, and deliver it in Slovak, but I think it went quite well! The Slovak elders help Sister Izatt and I a lot to pick up the differences. Sister Izatt and I were also asked to prepare Sunday school, so that was another adventure. Church in Banska went well, but it was very low attendance (1 member, 3 investigators, and the missionaries). We then traveled down to Zvolen, after we helped the senior couple work out some branch business, being their translators. We transported a lot of our materials (Bibles, manuals, the piano, and sacrament equipment) down to Zvolen, as they still don't have their own stuff. Zvolen attendance was lower than we hoped as well, but it went well and very smoothly. Church lasted an hour, and we had sacrament meeting and Sunday school. So, I gave my talk again (I was the only speaker), and Sister Izatt and I taught Sunday school again :) It was sort of funny, but it was great, and a lot of fun to be a part of something that is so, very new. We're looking forward to the growth to come! As for the rest of the week, it was sort of a sad week - just a lot of unfortunate events, and our investigators are facing a lot of struggles. This area needs some hope and light, and Sister Izatt are racking our brains and trying to be as obedient and diligent as we can to bring down the miracles these people need. Of course, we cannot make decisions for people, or give them testimonies. However, we try our best to be as worthy of the Spirit as we can, and be the best servants of the Lord that we can, and I think it makes a big difference in how well our members and investigators make progress. Most of all it gives them a clearer, fairer chance to feel the Spirit and to choose what is right and what will bring them true happiness. I am very grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am very grateful for commandments that our Heavenly Father has given us. His plan is so geared towards our happiness, and the wonderful thing about it is that we can see a very clear correlation between our diligence and faithfulness to the commandments, and our happiness. His plan is clear and it is simple. I am thankful for that knowledge. I love my Savior, Jesus Christ. I happily follow in his footsteps every day. Love, Sestra Lucy Brimhall

No comments: