Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sister Exchanges in Uherske Hradiste

Dear Family and Friends, What an eventful week! This week was special because, for the first time in a long time in this mission, we had SISTER EXCHANGES! I've never heard of it before, but President wanted to give it a try. The Elders are always going on 24-hour exchanges to teach and learn from each other. It always seemed like a lot of fun, and really helpful. Sister White (my MTC companion) and I, since we're some of the oldest sisters, are doing a couple exchanges during August and September. This week I was able to travel allll the way to the other side of the country to a small town called Uherske Hradiste and do an exchange with Sister Bowler (in the picture). We all traveled and met up in Brno on Tuesday afternoon, and then did the switch and made it back to Prague and UH by Tuesday night (it was about 5-6 hours of train/bus travel). All Wednesday, I was able to serve with Sister Bowler in her little town. It was a blast! It really and truly had the "small town feel." Everybody knows everybody. As we spoke to people on the street, they would be waving to passerbys that they knew. The branch is a pretty good size - about 40 active members. Sister Bowler told me beforehand that they are constantly meeting people who know at least one member. I was surprised as we tracted and contacted throughout the day to have a list of people we had to say "Hi" to by the end of the day! That city was one of the first to be opened after the revolution, and so many of the members have been members since the early 90's. A lot of people we talked to used to attend the church, or go to it's yoga classes during communism. It was nuts. I could just feel the deep history that was there. We walked the whole day, and covered the whole town, including the town next to it. We taught a couple lessons, and ate at a fantastic pizza place. I admit, I sort of felt like I was on vacation, haha. It was a much different experience than Prague. One of the most striking differences was how kind people were, and how willing they were to speak to us. I'm not sure if there was as much interest as I've found in Prague, but people would talk to us for a long time, and were just amazingly kind! Prague is sort of a battleground compared to a small town like that, haha. Another wonderful part of the day was that we didn't speak a lick of English. Sister Bowler is a Linguistics major back home, and her Czech is just beautiful, so we had absolutely no need to speak anything but Czech. I loved it. Anyway, we traveled back to our areas on Thursday, meeting and switching again in Brno. When I got back to Sister Clark she immediately told me we needed to hurry because we had 4 lessons on plan that night, and a mountain of things to do. I smiled. Over the last few weeks, our area has been incredibly blessed. We've been teaching an outrageous amount that we can hardly keep up. Our investigators are doing so well, and making so much progress. A young man named Honza, that we are teaching, will be baptized in just a couple weeks, and is doing wonderfully at keeping the commandments and studying the scriptures. Our long-time investigators are making incredible progress, and I've been learning so much from the spirit in our lessons over the last little while. Sister Clark and I have just been full of gratitude to our Heavenly Father for all that is going on here in Prague. I love this work because it changes lives, and continues to change mine. I am so grateful for the Atonement of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I have felt it's power very strongly lately. It is something that is quite impossible for us to comprehend, but the power and strength that we can draw from it is undeniable. I know the Atonement is real. I know Christ is our Savior. Following his example has transformed me from the inside out. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ and am thankful for my knowledge of it. Love you! Sister Lucy Brimhall
With Sister Bowler on Sister Exchanges

No comments: