Monday, October 24, 2011

To serve the Lord and do what he knows he needs to do... in the end, it is what right.

Dear Family,

Wow, I always wondered how I would feel when Sammy passed away. He was just our pet, but he's been with us for 2/3 of my life. I'm almost glad I wasn't there, so I didn't have to see him like that. I still remember the day I opened that birthday gift and there was a leash and a collar wrapped inside. I think Abby screamed and I just smiled really big. I was so excited. Oh wow, it brings tears to my eyes to think about him.

Well, it was another wonderful week. It was absolutely full - I just got back from my second trip to Prague in the same week. We had specialized training on Friday, and so we went up Thursday night and came back that afternoon. Sister White and I and the rest of those we came out with then had to renew our visas early this morning so we traveled back up on Sunday night, and just got back (Monday evening). Having your preparation day taken up by waiting in the police office is pretty draining when you have so much work to do in your own area, ha. However, I'm excited to press on after this email and get working. We have so much to do in this area and we've set some amazing goals for the week in an effort to find priesthood and families for our branch. The Lord needs miracles to happen here, and he can only give them to us if we work hard, pray hard and align our wills with his. Keep praying for us!

I have some pretty special news for you all this week. If you remember my farewell talk, I spoke about a young man I met during my internship in Romania. He came from a difficult upbringing and a life very caught up in the world. He met the missionaries one day, and his journey to baptism was tough, but his journey after baptism was even tougher. He gave everything up so that he could follow Heavenly Father's commandments and live a worthy life. He really struggled for that year after his baptism. However, while I was there last summer, he received the priesthood, began participating in priesthood ordinances, and started filling out his mission papers, even though his family was quite unsupportive. He's now been out 11 months in the Spain Madrid mission. I wrote him a letter about a month ago, and got the most wonderful letter from him this week. Oh wow, it is going to motivate my entire mission. He is doing so, very well. He's currently training a new missionary, and I could tell from the way he spoke about his investigators, that he is working hard to bring people closer to Christ and help people find the path. He spoke about how difficult it's been for him to serve his mission, with no support from home, and with no information about how his family is doing and with no way to help them if they don't have the necessities of life. He writes them every week, but has only received a couple discouraging letters back. He wrote to me, however, that even though things look dire, and even though it appears he's given up everything (including his family) to serve the Lord and do what he knows he needs to do... in the end, it is what is right. And the Lord will bless him "one hundred fold." It brought tears to my eyes over and over again this week to think about where this young man came from, the transformation he is undergoing now, and what an influence he will be on the church in the future in a country that is struggling so much. He sends his thanks to the family for all your love, support, and prayers. May we all remember what a glorious thing the gospel is! It changes lives. I see it every day.

I don't have much time today, but I love you all so, very much.
Think of a way you can better be a representative of Christ this week!
Love,
Sestra Lucy Brimhall

No comments: