Monday, October 31, 2011

Postcard and Looking for a family!

 
Posted by Picasa

I thought I'd send you a postacard I found that really shows where I am. This is Ceske Budejovice! This is my city. Here is the namesti - the city center where everything happens. Isn't it stunning? I happened to start my mission off in the most beautiful part of the country, I hear. We've gone on a few day trips on our p-days to cities nearby, and everything is just picture perfect here in the southern part of the country. I love it so much here - I can't wait to take you around if you end up coming out. Everything you hear about the Czech Reublic is true. It's like a fairytale.

I love this postcard because it already means so much to me. Right on those benches I've already contacted so many people and taught several lessons. Just last week on that bench on the far right, I taught someone how to pray for the first time in their life. I don't know how many times a day we teach people about prayer. There are so many Czechs who have never made that connection with God. They are often completely unaware of their relationship with Him. He is our loving Heavenly Father, and we are His children. It's the most wonderful thing when you find one of those elect that's searching and when you can help them begin that journey of coming to know their Father in Heaven. I feel very blessed to be here and to be a part of these peoples lives.
Love, Sestra Lucy Brimhall


My dear friends and family,

The Church is true. The Book of Mormon can bring us so much peace and inspiration if we take the time to read it's words. God exists. He loves us. Jesus Christ is our Savior. Not only did he enable us to return to our Heavenly Father and find great joy and peace after this life, but he can give us indescribable peace in our lives today. Today! Even in this very moment. I know that is truth.

Let me tell you a story. We had training in Prague a week or so ago when our Zone Leaders talked about having vision, but then setting goals to reach that vision. What good is a vision if we have no plan to make it real? They challenged us to set a goal for our specific areas, according to what we thought we most needed. As Sister White and I sat there as a companionship this week, we talked about what we should focus on. There I was, my usual self, spouting out all sorts of things, saying we could do this or that, or help him, organize that, or maybe just do all of it?? Sometimes I get a little carried away.. I stopped talking, looked at Sister White, and said, "Do you have any thoughts?" She said, "Yes. Let's find a family." Immediately, the Spirit absolutely engulfed that room. I knew it was exactly what we needed to work for. We decided to make a profile of who we would find. It would be a family with both a husband and a wife, who had young children, and a stable presence in Ceske Budejovice. They would have interest to learn, and TIME for us to teach them.

Almost every day of the week we scheduled in big blocks of tracting in two neighborhoods on the edge of the city so that we could find this family. On Wednesday night, we went out tracting in this BEAUTIFUL area. It's up in the hills, surrounded by forest, and just breathtaking. We started knocking doors and ringing doorbells, telling people who we were and asking if they had time or interest to learn. It was such an iconic scene. There we were, in a Czech neighborhood, stomping through the mud with the rain pouring down and our umbrellas out, talking to people through speakers, or yelling up to people through their windows. "Dobry den! Jsme tady jako dobrovolne misionarky..." I couldn't believe I was really doing it. It was such an adventure.

Most people had no interest, but then we tracted one house where a woman popped out, I said our opening line, and she said she was sorry but the had a visit from their grandmother, but could we come back another day, maybe in the morning? Maybe tomorrow? We said, "Of course!" She ran out with an umbrella and gave us her business card. I just about fell over in gratitude, haha.

We had no idea who she was, but we called later that night and set up for the next morning. When we walked back up that hill and rang the doorbell, out popped a man holding his young daughter. He had a big smile on his face, and he said, "Come on in!" Sister White and I just laughed the whole way up the driveway. It was perfect! They were such a beautiful family. We taught them about the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ and gave them a Book of Mormon. They aren't believers and it was all very new for them, but they invited us back the next week and said they would begin reading the Book of Mormon.

I'm getting kicked off the computer now, but I just want to tell you that the Lord knows what he is doing. He has great purpose for each one of us, and he wants us to seek him, so that he can take us even higher. I know the Lord can work miracles if we put our sweat and our hearts into it. For those who feel down, or who feel without purpose, look to the Lord and know that he sees, he understands, and he is only waiting for you to take his hand. There is no reason that we should feel down for long periods of time, when we know exactly how to find great joy in this life. We have our Savior, Jesus Christ, and we have a loving Heavenly Father. Rely on them. They love you.

I love you.

Sestra Lucy Brimhall

No comments: