Monday, October 10, 2011

I Love My Family

Thank you family and friends for every one of your emails. I absolutely love to hear from you! Father, I'm so glad you and Mom got away for a while. I can't wait to hear about the trip. Abby, thank you for your emails last week! I loved that you sent on your schedule so I could see exactly what you're doing. I'm so glad you're loving it! Michael looks like a man in those pictures, ha. He wil always be "Baby Brother" in my phone though. How is Danny doing these days?

This week was just wonderful. We were able to listen to conference! Wasn't it just a gold mine? On Saturday and Sunday we listened to all the sessions - the missionaries watched it on a little TV in the kitchen in English, while the members watched it in the chapel in Czech. Oh wow, it was like a box of See's candy to hear all those talks and draw inspiration for each one of our investigators. I wanted to share a few thoughts I had with you.

I'm sure you remember Elder Callister's talk about the Savior and the Book of Mormon. You should have seen our district as we watched that talk. We were gasping and chuckling and writing vigorously. If only every Czech citizen could hear that talk. Jesus Christ is our Savior - either he is the Son of God, or he is a madman or something even worse. A great moral teacher? He did not leave that option open for us. Test the Book of Mormon. Does it draw you closer to God? It is either written by evil influence, full of dishonesty, or it is from God, translated by His prophet. There is no middle ground. This talk addressed much of what we address every day here. This is the kind of witness we are bearing. Wow, that talk will stay with missionaries in the Czech Republic for generations. We can't wait for the Liahona to come out.

Something else I loved was from Elder Eyring - his little sentence when he said, "We work hard with all of our might, and then... we press on." That is the whole of it. We WORK as saints in the Lord's church. We work hard, and then we keep going. We shouldn't feel discouraged, overwhelmed, or jilted because we think we should get a break. No. That's what we do as saints. We work with all of our hearts, and then... what else would we do, but press on with all of our hearts?

Sister Dalton's talk! Wasn't that beautiful? Dad, I wanted to thank you for all you did for me growing up. There was another talk directed towards parents rearing children, and I thought to myself - my parents used to be listening to this talk as young parents. Now they are listening to it and their children are almost all the way out. I felt impressed to tell you that you've done so well. I hope you know that. You reared your children in righteousness, and I thank Heavnely Father every day for the upbringing I had and the knowledge I've been blessed with. I remember one night specifically, in high school, when I sat in your bedroom, and I lifted my hands in the air and said, "Why can't you just trust me?" I remember your response, Dad. You said that you couldn't. You were there to protect me. You couldn't just let me go, for that was your stewardship - to make sure that I was protected, safe, and that I would make it through trials and temptations, keeping my testimony and the spirit of the Lord. Thank you for doing that. I add my witness to Sister Dalton's that Fathers must do that for their children. "Go and get her!" I loved that.

This week was beautiful in the way that I felt the Spirit work through Sister White and I in a very undeniable way. There were a couple instances during lessons when the Spirit left very abruptly because of contention and some pride. I wasn't quite sure what to do - how to bring that Spirit back. I wanted to shut the lesson down and try again on another day. However, I felt the rush of the Spirit in a very real way, and words started coming out of my mouth. Not knowing what word would immediately folllow, the words lined themselves up one by one, and the Spirit spoke through Sister White and I - powerfully, with love. My district and I were talking after conference this weekend about how we can feel the prayers of our family, the temple workers, the leaders of the church. I wanted to tell you that I feel them. There's been a distinct difference on my mission. I literally feel something carrying me throughout the days - this wave of support that begins with my family and friends. Thank you, thank you for your prayers. They are here with us!

Time is up, but I absolutely love you! Tonight we have a meeting with a group of people who are very much struggling. They unfortunately experience a great deal of discrimination, and they have many questions about why God allows such inequality, such tragedy, such suffering. I ask for your prayers! Sister White and I have been called to help them find the way, and find some answers. They need to feel the love of their Savior, and the redeeming power of his Atonement. Pray that they will!

I'll answer questions next week! For those who I haven't written yet, the letters will come! I promise. Andrea - congratulations on the baby! I'm so, so happy for you! Michelle Alejandra Rubio-Leiva, I love you a lot.

Love you, family!
Sestra Lucy Brimhall

No comments: