Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I learned this week the value there is in simple testimony.

Dearest Family and Friends! Thank you for your emails!

Wow. I love missionary work. I realized this week that it is truly a position on the front lines, where people will hate you and curse you for what you believe, but it is also right there where "water turns to steam," and people form bonds with their Eternal Father in Heaven and their loving Brother and Savior, Jesus Christ. What a privilege I've been given to see the work of the Lord! With floor seats! I absolutely love it.

What can I tell you about this week? It was full of learning, and as always, deep sorrow and exceedingly great joy. After I pray each night, I try to write something down that the Lord has taught me that day, or that I haven't learned yet, and He wants me to learn. Every day this week I wrote down something about the pure love of Christ. That is what must drive a missionary, as well as every disciple of Christ. I knew that I would love people a lot here on my mission - I didn't quite know how it would feel, but I'm feeling it now, and it's really beautiful. As a greenie, you sort of feel like the investigator is there, but your trainer stands in between. Thus, you can't quite feel that love as tangibly. Now, it's Sister White and I and we're right smack in the front. There's no one to buffer. I can't tell you how much I love these people! You become so much a part of their lives, and they become so much a part of your heart! You try to teach them, and they teach you even more, deepening your soul, broadening the volume of your heart. What a privilege it is to serve.

We had such interesting lessons this week. Early in the week, we met with a professor at the university here. Funny, eh? Mine and Sister White's Czech plus a professor who was already a believer and quite well-versed. Maybe I was nervous? Haha, to say the least, I felt a bit of stress during the lesson. When Czech rolls out in great amounts, and you're trying so hard to comprehend the gist, while also working well with your companion, and listening to the Spirit, and using the member you have with you, it's quite an adventure! However, I learned this week the value there is in simple testimony. In the end, Sister White and I bore our testimony about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. We testified that God desires for us to find truth. When we desire it as well, and when we put time in to read, ponder, and pray, we will be led to that truth. This man is going to read, and he's going to pray. That is what we do as missionaries. We are guides, but it's always up to the investigator or the person on the street, to act on the message and seek. When they do take that step, it's the most exhilarating thing to see the Spirit rush in and take them by the hand.

This week was sort of special in the way that we were faced with people who doubted us, discounted us, and downright insulted us. I learned, however, family, that with the power of the pure love of Christ, you can turn the deepest contempt into friendship, trust, and respect. The next time someone insults or offends you, remember how Christ treated his relationships. There is power in his love. It can soften the hardest hate, and replace darkness with light. I felt his love course through me this week as we dealth with some ugly situations. I'm so grateful that he is right there with us, guiding our steps, and filling our mouths. I love the Lord. I know Jesus Christ is our Savior.

Love you!
Sestra Lucy Brimhall

No comments: