Monday, August 29, 2011

Exhausted from my sweaty ponytail to my scuffed up shoes.

Dear Family,

Turns out we're still having our normal P-day this week!

Well family, there are few times in my life that I've worked as hard as I worked this week. I can't tell you how good it felt. Every night, Sister Anderson and I had to use the extra half hour you're allowed from 9-9:30 PM if you're in a lesson, because we had so many people to take care of, and so many things to deal with. We had FANTASTIC Zone Training in Prague on Tuesday where they focused on effective nightly planning. Thus, we would come home later and then do some turbo planning for the next day, leaving about 10 minutes for us to brush our teeth, change into pajamas, and try to stop our heads from spinning with thoughts of how we can help our area. Being a missionary is the best. Sister Anderson and I won't be cranking out weeks like this every week, as I think our heads might fall off; however, as I walked home on a particularly crazy day, exhausted from my sweaty ponytail to my scuffed up shoes, I felt so much joy. All I wanted out of my mission was to be used - to be His hands, doing His work. I've found that the deepest kind of joy comes from doing just that.

Alright, we need your prayers this week! Sister Anderson and I have a double baptism on Friday, due to some incredible miracles this week! However, let me tell you, Satan doesn't like baptisms!

Let me finally tell you the story of our miracle investigator. We currently have two investigators named both with the same name. One, we've been teaching for maybe 6 weeks, but his parents are against him being baptized, so we're a little stalled on that one. We helped move his brother's family this week in an effort to soften their hearts, so we're hoping we're making progress! Say some prayers that those Czech hearts will open up a little bit.

The other one, the one getting baptized this week, we found about 3 weeks ago. We contacted him along the river, close to our apartment, as we were making our way into the city. I taught him a short version of the Restoration, quoting the First Vision, and inviting him to learn more. As I spoke, he was pacing back and forth, not saying anything, and we honestly thought he was a little crazy. However, in all our teaching, I've found that the story of Joseph Smith brings the spirit like nothing else. He gave us his number, and we set up a meeting for the next day. We met on the namesti (city square) and had a bench lesson with him. We taught him how to pray, as he had never done it before. Ah! I LOOOVE teaching people how to pray. We asked him if he would like to try and pray at the end of the lesson. He got really nervous about it, haha, but we gave him one of our pamphlets, which has basic instructions, and he went ahead and tried. He was so embarassed through it all, and really struggled, but ah, it was a beautiful experience. Check: Another bond formed between Heavenly Father and another one of his children. That's what we do here! It's the best thing in the world.

We had set up another meeting for the next day; however, he texted us before our meeting and said that he was without work, without food, and without a home, and he just didn't think he could keep meeting with us when he had so many other things to worry about. We were devastated. We tried to call him back, but his phone was off. I was really sad for the rest of the day - I really felt good about this one. As we went about the rest of our day, our plans changed a bit and we walked through a certain park to get back to the church building. Sister Anderson grabbed my arm and said, "There's he is!" He was in that park, sitting on a bench. We went up to him and started talking to him. Sister Anderson got on the phone and started calling around to see how our branch could help him, while I started reading with him in the Book of Mormon. He had done his reading assignment! He was so sad when we found him, but he started to light up, laugh, and smile! That was the beginning of his happiness that I know now.

Long story short, our branch took him in. Our meager, destitute little branch took this boy in and has been taking care of him since. Petr is a person that recognized Heavenly Father reach down and pick him up, and because he recognized those tender mercies, he has the most firm faith in God and Jesus Christ, and he will NOT turn back. He embraced everything from then on, and Family, now he's getting baptized on Friday. However, baptism doesn't come without mountains of obstacles, you know? We need your prayers that Petr can stop smoking this week. He relapsed yesterday, and if he smokes again, we'll have to delay the baptism. Pray hard! He is amazing. Incredible. I love him so much. He's going to make it.

Out of time! However, the other person getting baptized this week is _____! I mentioned him in my first email, I believe. He started going way downhill in the last couple weeks, enough so that Sister Anderson and I went this week to have a "drop" lesson with him. What was going to be a drop turned into another invitation to be baptized. Family, a real, live miracle happened this week! When Sister Anderson asked if he would be baptized this week, he was silent for a very long time. The spirit was strong. Finally, he said he would fast about it on Friday. We said we would fast with him. We dropped by to pray with him on Thursday to start the fast, and then we went over on Friday to have a lesson with him and hear his answer. He is more solid than he ever was before! He has such a great desire to be baptized into the Lord's church! He was going to have his interview on Sunday, but Family, baptism never comes without mountains of obstacles. Right now his wife will not give her consent, and we do not allow people to be baptized without consent of their spouse. That is the only thing keeping him right now, and we need prayers that her heart will be softened.

Out of time, but wow, that's just the tip of the iceberg this week. Pray hard for us here in Ceske Budejovice! The dam is going to break in this area! I know it will happen on my mission. I feel so blessed to be a part of this work and a part of this area.

I love you lots!
Sister Lucy Brimhall

P.S. Sister Anderson and I decided this morning that being a missionary is even better than dark chocolate. Can you believe I'm saying that? It's true.

P.P.S. Mike, I forgot to wish you happy birthday last week! Happy birthday!!! I can't believe you're so old! Stop that.

P.P.P.S. Diana or Emily, can I get Rachel Brisson's mission address, please?? Not her MTC address, I'll probably miss her before she leaves. She didn't send it to me!

P.P.P.P.S. Mother, has Colbi had her baby? I can't remember when she's due.

No comments: